Every building needs a reliable roof. Commercial property owners, however, have needs and concerns beyond those of the typical homeowner. To meet these needs, McDonald & Wetle offers high-quality roofing solutions to business properties in Northwest Oregon and the areas surrounding Portland, OR, and Seattle, Washington. Among these is built-up roofing, a long-lasting option that stands strong against the elements.
What Is Built-Up Roofing?
Built-up roofing has been used for over 100 years to keep moisture out of commercial and industrial buildings. Though the concept is old, the materials and installation technologies have advanced far beyond their roots. This makes built-up roofing one of the most consistently competitive options.
McDonald & Wetle’s built-up roofs are constructed in layers. The first is roof insulation, followed by a thick coating of tar-like bitumen that acts as an adhesive for sheets of reinforced fiberglass fabric. This special roofing fabric is flexible, offering enhanced resilience even in wet Pacific Northwest weather. Tar and fabric layers can be repeated multiple times. Finally, we finish with crushed stone or gravel. This last layer provides a finished look, protection from sunlight and debris, and a safe surface to walk on.
A properly installed built-up roof can last up to 30 years if correctly maintained. McDonald & Wetle also offers roofing maintenance and repair services to prolong the functional lifespan of your roof, helping you protect your property and make the most of your company’s investment.
Built-Up Roofing Benefits
The layered construction of built-up roofs is incredibly durable against the elements. This design offers a broad range of benefits for commercial properties, including:
- Excellent Waterproofing: The bitumen and fabric layers work together to effectively block water, preventing leaks and moisture problems from affecting your property.
- Ultraviolet Protection: Built-up roofs are also resistant to UV light and won’t fade, dry out, crack, or deteriorate over time spent in the sun.
- Superior Fire Resistance: The aggregate top layer is highly fire-resistant, making it an excellent option for manufacturing plants and buildings with a high risk of combustion.
- Energy Efficiency: Heavy-duty insulation and reflective coatings make built-up roofs one of the most efficient options for large commercial spaces.
- Low Maintenance: Every roof requires care. Built-up roofs have lower maintenance needs, however, saving you time and expense over the roof’s lifetime.
Between top-notch protection, energy efficiency, and reduced maintenance costs, a built-up roof from McDonald & Wetle saves both worry and money. Once installed, you can enjoy peace of mind in the knowledge that your investment will benefit your business for decades to come.
Repair and Replace Roofs with McDonald & Wetle
If your office building, store, warehouse, manufacturing plant, or other commercial property is in need of a new roof, choose McDonald & Wetle. We have been serving the Pacific Northwest with trusted roofing solutions for nearly a century. Our list of services is extensive, and we’re committed to providing the best possible quality on every job.
McDonald & Wetle’s services are available in Northwest Oregon and the metropolitan areas surrounding Portland, OR and Seattle, WA. Contact us at a location near you to learn more about built-up roofing installation and service or to schedule a consultation.